The Communications Committee works with the Board on media relations and membership communications. Its primary tools are the Chapter’s website, Constant Contact, e-newsletters, e-blasts, and articles. The Committee informs media sources about breakthroughs in green building, educates non-members about USGBC-OK initiatives, maintains the membership list, and notifies existing members about Chapter activities such as meetings, workshops, and annual events. The Committee acts as the face and voice of the Chapter to ensure accurate and important information on USGBC operations and green building is shared with the general public, press, and membership.
The Communications Committee delivers on its vision by following a systematic process. First, needs and opportunities for communications are identified. This may come from Committee members, Board members, Chapter members, USGBC National, or even the general public. Second, a communication is approved by the Chapter Board. This most often takes place at a monthly Board meeting but approval can occur over email if expedited approval is required. Required for approval is a summary of the need / opportunity for the communication, draft language, and a dissemination plan. Third, the Committee disseminates the communication as necessary. The most common channels are the Chapter website (www.usgbc-oklahoma.org), press statement or article (online or print), and Chapter Newsletter. The Communications Committee has four major positions. One person may fill multiple positions.
- Maintain and update the chapter website.
- Improve website content & appearance while maintaining consistent look & feel
Media and Public Relations Coordinator
- Develop PR strategy
- Maintain a contact list and develop relationships with local media
- Develop media kit for Oklahoma Chapter
- Prepare and distribute press releases and public service announcements to media
- Cover all local USGBC events
- Promote chapter events in OKC and Tulsa press, as well as national events
- Send news articles to the Website Coordinator to be posted
- Photograph events and send to webmaster
- Publish monthly newsletter and e-blasts to keep members up to date on issues concurrent with Green Development practices, events, and announcements
- Produce and distribute chapter news/announcements on a regular basis coordinating with the Membership Committee for distribution lists.
- Design print and digital marketing collateral (email, invitations, posters, web graphics)
- Develop graphic appearance of website as part of the total chapter graphic identity
- Assist newsletter coordinator with graphic identity